What is a Laneway Home?
Laneway homes (which were first permitted under the city of Vancouver’s 2009 Eco-Density bylaw) are small homes typically built at the rear of an existing residential property, that is detached from the primary home. Depending on the municipality they can also be called carriage houses or garden cottages too. They are usually used for extended family or as a rental income generator. Services, such as water, sewer, electricity, gas, garbage, mail, etc., come from the front street, not the laneway.
Benefits of Laneway Homes
- Increases Income and the Viability of Homeownership – As our needs increase so does the price of goods. A laneway home is a fantastic and affordable way to supplement your income by renting your laneway suite to renters or vacationers. Additionally, home owners are seeking extra income and security to cover escalating home costs by creating secondary rental suites. Laneway suites provide an enhanced opportunity for home ownership.
- Affordable Housing – The affordability and availability of low-rise housing stock has been rapidly changing in our city. Laneway homes increase the supply of rental housing to aid the housing crisis in established neighbourhoods by offering reasonably priced rentals in single-family neighbourhoods close to transit, amenities, jobs, and an urban lifestyle. They do this without requiring any new infrastructure, as branching of services is the homeowners’ responsibility.
- Increases Property Value – Turning your superfluous land into a home will provide extra value to you and can increase your property value well above the cost of building your home. Laneway suites also present the opportunity of creating more homes in neighbourhoods without changing the look, feel and character of these low-rise residential streets.
- Multi-Generational Living – A common reason to build a laneway home is to provide separate, yet affordable housing for family. Laneway homes allow elderly parents to stay close while living independently. They let kids who grew up in a neighbourhood, stay there. They’re also an ideal way for homeowners provide affordable and detached housing for their adult children starting their careers, going to university or expanding their families.
- Safety – Laneway homes in Vancouver have the potential to become more active, useful spaces in our urban fabric. They also improve the look and safety of laneways by bringing lighting infrastructure and more eyes onto beautifully occupied streets. Unlocking these assets is a key part of creating safe, accessible spaces for residents to enjoy.
- Sustainability – By providing housing opportunities in liveable, walkable neighbourhoods, homeowners will enhance our communities, giving more residents the option to live near jobs, services, transit, and an urban lifestyle. It will also improve access to light and air for renters and improve acoustic and spatial privacy for units sharing a lot. Laneway homes, because of their size, use less resources and are nearly as energy efficient as condos. Homeowners looking to further decrease their carbon footprint add Highlands Master Builders’ green-build features, such as energy efficient appliances and heating systems, and even solar panels. It truly is an eco-friendly option for any homeowner, property and neighbourhood in Greater Vancouver.
Highlands Master Builders carries a 5 million dollar general liability policy, and complete coverage by WCB. We also offer additional course of construction insurance to our clients at discounted rates through our partner, Federated Insurance.
Yes. All Highlands Master Builders projects are protected by a 2 year warranty on all labour and materials. In some cases, materials may be warranted by the manufacturer for up to 25 years. We also offer extended warranties and extended service contracts to ensure your project looks great well into the future.
These terms are broken down in the contract based on progress with a completion date included. Once the work is completed to a pre-determined point, a pre-determined payment is made, with final payment due upon completion.
We have done many renovations in the past, but Highlands crew was outstanding. It is rare to find a construction company that has so much knowledge and experience and has the leadership to see a project through from the beginning to the end. They were always onsite, early in the morning. They were pleasant, polite and always cleaned up at the end of the day. We were actually sad when they left, as they were like family friends staying at our house!
If you want a great crew, outstanding workmanship, transparent and easy to understand billing this is THE company! We would hire Andrew and the guys back for another project any time. Thank you again for going the extra mile – we are very grateful.